“SIMA Classroom exists to connect classrooms, cultures, and communities through visual storytelling.”
– Daniela Kon, SIMA Founder and Executive Director
WE INSPIRE LIFELONG LEARNERS FOR A TOLERANT AND INCLUSIVE WORLD
SIMA Classroom mirrors the UN’s definition of global citizenship education, which is focused on nurturing respect for all, building a sense of belonging to a common humanity and helping learners become responsible and active global citizens.
At SIMA we have a saying, “Documentary is Fatal to Prejudice.” Our vision for education is based on bringing you new and unique perspectives on today’s global social issues and empowering learners to become proactive contributors to society by nurturing the values of peace, respect and cross-cultural diversity.
STUDENT BENEFITS OF GLOBAL LEARNING THROUGH SIMA FILMS
For high schools using SIMA Classroom, our films and lesson plans fit with Global Competencies (as defined by the Program For Student Assessment and Asia Society’s Center for Global Education).
- Exposure to international issues
- Heightened emotional intelligence
- Greater self awareness and open mindfulness
- Enhanced communication skills (multilingual, intercultural, nonverbal and verbal)
- Encouraged collaboration across cultures
- Attentiveness to diversity
- Heightened immunity to dominant media and ideologies
- Higher chance of participating in civic action/ engagement
- Increased desire to seek out and challenge social injustices
TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY LITERACY
SIMA Classroom gives you the building blocks to focus on these literacy skills:
- Digital Literacy – the ability to communicate with an ever- expanding community to discuss issues, gather information, and seek help
- Global Literacy – the capacity to read, interpret, respond, and contextualize messages from a global perspective
- Technology Literacy – the ability to use computers and other technology to improve learning, productivity, and performance
- Visual Literacy – the ability to understand and communicate through visual images
- Information Literacy – the ability to find, evaluate and synthesize information.